Saturday, October 4, 2008

Alternate Uses for Sculpture

The Minneapolis Scuplture Garden outside the Walker Art Center is possibly my favorite place in the whole city. I can recall when I first visited the Sculpture Garden back when I was in junior-high and I was just plain awe-struck. It is place that is both surreal and magical and inspiring. There is the ubiquetious Spoonbridge and Cherry by Claes Oldenburg & Coosje van Bruggen...and then just all sorts of other stuff....stuff that Beeper and his cousin Bailey (I describe her as distilled sunshine) found alternate uses for on recent Saturday afternoon at the sculpture garden.... ...like this sculpture climbed and used as slide...
...or this scuplture that became the focal point of an extended game of hide and chase......and this one that was employed as some sort of wobbly swing. You can see what there is to love about this place--especially when it comes to exposing small children to art. It is not fragile, it not something you cannot touch, and it is larger than life--something that can be scrambled over, walked around, felt with your own hands.
And then we ended our visit with a walk across the Art bridge that traverses the I-35W freeway. Art does make the world a better place, yes?

No comments: