Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tutorial and Pattern: Cashmere BatBaby Hat & Beddy-Bye Beast

As promised, I am back with another little tutorial for you--this one on how to make a cashmere BatBaby Hat and accompanying Beddy-Bye Beast. This is from a very early design I made when I very first started making plushies--of course, the design has evolved and been improved upon about 143 times since that first attempt (yes, 143--some of us just cannot seem to get it right the first time or about 142 more times thereafter...).

And one of the loveliest things about both of these designs is that they are made with cashmere--and not just any old cashmere, but cashmere gleaned from reclaimed sweaters. What do I mean by reclaimed? Well, for me that generally means thrifted--or sometimes, old sweaters my lazy friends dump on me so they do not need to bother with the GoodWill donation. Also, what you should know about the hat is that it is reversible--and it will fit a 6-18 month old baby. And what you should know about the Beddy-Bye Beast is that I put a little packet of calming herbs inside of it (equal parts chamomile, lavendar, roses, and hops)--but that is optional really. And also, I have included the designs for all 5 beasts pictured above in the tutorial .
And now you should go make your own. For sure. This makes a superduper baby gift and the hat really is freakin adorable on a baby. Like, squeal-worthy adorable. Get your own copy of the tutorial with patterns right here:
DOWNLOAD TUTORIAL
And one other thing? I started a Chez Beeper Bebe Flickr group where you can show off your own interpretation of one of my designs/projects--but mostly I started it because I am nosey and would love to see what any of my readers out there are doing with these tutorials and stuff. Humor me. Please. You can find the Flickr group here.

17 comments:

Kirsten said...

Thanks for the tutorial - so cute! :)

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Wow! Thanks for the tutorial! Very nice sofie!

Lisa said...

What a generous and super cute pattern share! Thank you!
lisa

Ginger said...

All little ones would love these beast to cute!
Thank you so much for the tutorials.

Jacqui said...

I saw these sets in your shop update yesterday and thought they were gorgeous and here's a tutorial! Wow. Now I just need a baby to make them for. C'mon friends, produce some babies!

Anne said...

Ohhh! These are SO CUTE!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-batbaby-hat-and-beddy-bye-beast-softie/2009/11/02/

--Anne

Anonymous said...

That hat is too stinking cute! I'm off to link to your blog! hmmm...any other tutorials up your sleeve? I'm running a contest. :)

Zarinaia said...

What a super cute pattern! Thank for sharing!

Can I link your tut on my blog?

Thanks :)

Eleonora, an Italian girl in Sweden

Holly said...

Eleonora--Please-of course, you can link to my tutorial. I am always happy to have my tutorials linked to and shared on other blogs. The one thing I would ask is that you please do link to the URL on my blog, as opposed to direct linking to the tutorial document that can be downloaded.

Thanks so much for asking though.

Stephanie said...

I love this!! I think I know what my friends will all be getting for Christmas... (though I'll have to re-size the pattern, they've got bigger heads hehe) Thank you!

Cuddlet said...

That is one great tutorial! Thanks a lot! I've just made two monkeys for mine and my best friend's babies (we are both pregnant)! Can't believe nobody posted photos of finished toys in your Flickr pool - I just did! :)
I screwed up a little bit with ears placement, and because I used an old scarf for bodies, the monkeys turned out a bit too wide (the fabric was stretching only in one direction) - but I think they still look cute! Next time I will use fleece fabric or felted sweaters :)

Colleen said...

Very cute hat! I love the look of the ears and the shape of the hat! I wanted to see if I could get the same look in crochet and created a crochet pattern based on the shape of your sewn pattern. I hope this is okay with you.

http://sewtheday.blogspot.com/2010/02/3-pointed-hat-crochet.html

Alyssa said...

Minky fabric AKA bubble velour fabric would be perfect! I am off to go make mine with Minky as the backing of the beast and cotton print as the front.I am making the chicken. I will be making a little addition to where the back will have a slightly noticeable secret pocket. perfect for storing a little something! thank you for your generosity. I will upload a Photo of the finished item on your flicker pool sometime.

Alyssa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wallers said...

Just posted my beasts on my blog http://richandchristen.blogspot.com Thank you so much!!!

GlowWorm said...

I made these for my kids for christmas and they love them! Thanks!

http://marvelouspigs.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love how you made the faces!! So simple but clever technique! Soooo cute! Thank you for sharing! I featured this on my blog: http://www.plushiepatterns.com/beddy-bye-beast-plushie-by-chez-beeper-bebe/