Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tutorial and Pattern: Don't Forget Memory Game

I just put together this little memory matching game using various fabrics--I decided to do this last month when Sew Mama Sew had their Handmade Holidays and one of the projects was a memory game from Rory Jess Sadie made from various papers--which was lovely--but then they asked the question: Do you think this could be made with fabric? To which, I answered, yep, and took it as a personal challenge. Although, truth be told, this is not all that challenging to make. I mean, it is sort of a sewing 101 project--which is part of why I really enjoyed making these. I found it sort of meditative sewing around the straight edges of all those game pieces.

I used all reproduction vintage fabrics for mine--many of which were purchased from ReproDepot--although you could use real vintage fabrics or any other patterned fabrics that appeal. You could also use scraps you have laying around, waiting to find their purpose in life. And I designed a vintage-look backing with an elephant graphic that says, Don't forget--because that is the point of a game like this--to remember and not forget where you saw the match to that one piece?
Of course, you know I had to make this into a tutorial for you. You can download that here:
DOWNLOAD MEMORY GAME TUTORIAL

And if you wanted to give it as a gift, you could make a little drawstring bag to put all the pieces in, appliqueing a square or two of the fabric on the front--or you could cover a little cigar box in some sort of decorative paper and stack the pieces inside.

I do plan to put a couple of sets of these in my Etsy shop--probably tomorrow. Watch for that, if you care.

18 comments:

KristenMary said...

That is SO clever, I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You are so very, very clever and I love your style! xoxo.

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Thank you! It's a nice game! very useful!!

Rebecca said...

I love this-- so much better than the computer version I had as a kid!

Beth- the mama bee said...

cute- my 4 year old is so good at that game. This may go on t the after christmas list to make. thanks!

poppyart said...

oooh i can use all those little bits of fabric which i save. thanks for the thought.

Tracey said...

This post came at the perfect time yesterday. I needed to make something for a 4 year old and now thanks to your beaut tute its completo (and pretty cute to boot). Too many 'oot' sounds in there sorry. I'll be posting my version later on today :) thank u

Banuca said...

You are really a creative women. How did you think to make this memory game from fabriks. I lovvve your little sweet dolls at etsy.

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm making my set tonight. just putting fleece on the back, cottons on the front. I need a gift for a 3yo with 2 younger siblings, so I want to make sure they're safe in mouths and easy to replace!

leel said...

i think this might be my next little project for my nephew. i have tonnes of fabric left over from some recent quilts, so it will be a perfect winter day project :) thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Inspired by this tutorial, I made some slightly different versions. I think you have a Flickr place for posting pics of things made from your tutorials, but I can't figure out how to do that. I did put pics on my blog with a link back to your site.

Thanks for taking the time to do all the work involved.

etitameh said...

I also like the idea of making this usable in different ways... For example, using 4 patterns that are mostly red, or 3 that are of cats, or even 2 different colors of velvet + 2 of corduroy -- one of my daughter's favorite things to do is match things in multiple ways, so I think she'd have a blast finding new ways to pair up squares. :)

Holly said...

I love the idea of using different textured fabrics to match--that completely takes the game in a different direction.

Unknown said...

Over here from Money Saving Mom and am thrilled with your great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

What a joy! so many creative ideas - and nicely presentated. Thank you for the tutorial! Montessori teachers would love this for the classroom.

SeamedUP said...

I just pinned this - wonderful!

Amy said...

Just came across this. Love! Will be making for my friend's toddler!

Barbara said...

Cute idea. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial and printable. I'm saving it for future use and hoping for grandchildren one of these days.