Sunday, March 20, 2011

3191 Quarterly

'
I recently made a gift to myself of a subscription to 3191 Quarterly--the print version of the beautiful 3191 Miles Apart blog of Stephanie and Maria.  It is only published quarterly so I had to wait several weeks for my first issue to arrive and I had sort of forgotten I had even subscribed when the Winter issue arrived in its simple and lovely brown paper package--all wrapped up with the earlier Summer and Fall issues.

I waited for a quiet snowy weekend afternoon to settle in with a cup of tea and the winter issue.  I found there was something about the images, the articles, the projects that filled me with a sort of calm happiness just looking at them--so much so that I chose to save the other two issues so I could spread the experience out over a few days rather than gorging myself all in one go.

The subjects covered in the issues range from recipes...
{Summer 2010: Carmelized Corn and Shallot Salad with Avocado}
{Autumn 2010: Seeded Whole Grain Bread}

...to lovely photographic stories...
{Summer 2010: Vinyl in the Park}

...to simple and inspired projects...
{Autumn 2010: Art for Adults and Kids}
{Autumn 2011: Dying Shibori Scarves with My Mom}

Each issue is clearly seasonally inspired yet not so much so as to make the recipes and projects irrelevant after the season passes.  And did I mention the wonderful heft of the paper each issue is printed on?  Well, it just feels good and substantial in your hands and you really can feel the thought and care that goes into the magazine's creation.  While, I admit, it is an investment to subscribe, I would call it well worth it because each issue is now stowed on the shelf amongst my other most inspiring craft books, where it will be saved so it can be perused again and again for inspiration, a meal, a new project to begin.  And I love to know that I am helping to support two fantastically talented women who share their art with us each and every month for free on their blog--and I am happy to pay for a little extra of what they have to offer (all the content in the magazine is unique and not covered on their blog).
If you are interested, you can get your own copy of 3191 Quarterly right here.

1 comment:

frogs+sprogs said...

Wow what a beautiful blog, thanks for the link. Will add it to my neverending list of must-reads ...