Friday, October 3, 2008

See and Sew

Have you seen this book? It is See and Sew by Tina Davis (also the author of Look and Cook, and Sow and Grow). It is a beginning hand-sewing primer for children with loads of lovely little starter projects that would appeal to kids--and to some adults like myself.
To begin with, there is a whole section on basic sewing instruction--like how to thread a needle, selecting fabric (and how to use a color wheel, above), and various types of basic sewing and embroidery stitches--all done with lovely, old-school illustrations. And the projects? Clear instructions with written as well as illustrated instuctions, and patterns included.
Some of the projects in the book are how to make elf slippers...
...how to make a charming little chicken egg cozy (as well as a soft boiled egg!)...
...and how to make a cat purse (hmmm, how could I incorporate one of these into my wardrobe?). Of course, there are many more projects ranging from clothing (cap and mittens) to toys (a sock doll). And also, some more basic sewing projects that really could act as a primer for little ones--like how to make sewing cards.
And then the tail-end of the book contains some more instructions on finishes and trims--like how to make a pom-pom, monograms, etc.

I would have died if someone had given me this book when I was a kid--in fact, I almost died when I found it at my fave local fabric store (Treadle Yard Goods in Saint Paul). It was one of those things where I was standing at the fabric cutting counter with 12 bolts of fabric and spied the book across the room and abandoned everything to go get my hands on the book.

Beeper is just starting to express some interest in the sewing he sees me doing--maybe this year we can partner on some of these projects--do some joint-gift making for some of his friends....I've got a couple of ideas already. How about you and your little ones?

No comments: