Prepare the soup base and veggies and chicken
- about 8-10 cups of chicken broth (I always make my own--I obsessively save up leftover chicken bones and unused parts and toss these in a baggie in the freezer until the bag is full and then I put it in a big pot of water, and boil it with an onion, celery, thyme, garlic, a few peppercorns, parsley, and a carrot or two for about 2 hours--salt it generously--and lo, behold the superior homemade broth--but you will need to refrigerate it over night and skim the fat from the broth before using the next day)
- 5-6 pieces of chicken (you can cook these before hand by tossing them in your pot while you are making broth--I boil them for about 30 minutes then pull them out, discard the skin, and pull the meat from the bones--and put the bones back into the stock pot)
- a little bunch of parsley, finely chopped (maybe 1/4 cup once chopped)
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
Bring the broth to a boil (if your chicken is uncooked, toss in whole pieces now--this will enliven store bought broth if that is what you are using--boil for about 30 minutes, then pull out, remove skin, pull meat from bones and set the chicken aside). Add the onion, celery, and carrots--reduce to a simmer.
Meanwhile, get busy making the noodles...
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 eggs + 2 yolks
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp of salt