Sunday, April 26, 2009

Birthday Counting Cards: Template and Tutorial

I made this on Saturday morning for Matilda's birthday. Then, on Sunday morning, I made one for you--I mean, I made the templates and instructions to make your very own Birthday Counting Cards. Just because even though I designed these cards--I sorta fell in love with them--and then I wanted to share it with you. Because I like you and appreciate how you've been stopping by and visiting my blog every now and again when you have some time to waste.
Matilda was turning 6, so she had 6 cards of goodies--1 necklace with a photo of Carl before his surgery, 2 buttons from Belle and Boo (find them here), 3 fruit juice lollies, 4 quarters, 5 snapshots of friends, and 6 vintage paper dolls (found those in pilllpat's flickr set here...other amazing vintage paper craft stuff there too)...

I made the design so it was usable for any child up to the age of 7 (does the novelty of something like this wear off after 7 years? I wasn't sure...). I have to tell you, I really, really loved making this AND giving it. I hope you'll like it too.

And you can make your own version of this with your own selection of goodies--you can download my template and instructions here:
DOWNLOAD BIRTHDAY COUNTING CARD TUTORIAL

13 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tess said...

Really cute :)
Well done

(I've come from oneprettything.com)

Metropolitan Housewife said...

This is simply BRILLIANT! Thank you so much for taking the time to create such a wonderfully detailed template and tutorial. I can't wait to create a custom birthday counting card for the little ones in my life- what a treasure!

Holly said...

Gee, thanks for all the kind comments. I truly did love making this project--and am so happy to share it with others. Would love to share photos of your own creations if you are so inclined...I am already planning to make two more this month for other birthdays...

Cleo said...

Thanks for this ... it is Miguel b/day in may and he is turning 5 - I wanted to make it special because this is the first one that he really 'gets'.

Thanks for your generosity.

Cleo

Anonymous said...

We do something sort of similar in my family, but for everyone. Starting this year I have sewn "birthday advent calendars" They are poster size quilts with pockets that spell the persons name - normally 7 pockets in my family to keep it fair. Then ever day for 7 days leading up to the birthday you get to open one present. Anything from small trinkets to treasure hunt directions for bigger gifts. It all started because my husbands birthday is 8 days after Christmas and as a child he always sort of got cheated in the celebration where as my b-day is in the middle of April and I've always celebrated for weeks in advance :) I love your pocket idea though!

Carisa said...

this is adorable, thanks for sharing such a neat idea!!!

Carisa

Kirsten said...

These are fantastic - thank you for sharing your creativity! :)

HelenS said...

This is brilliant - any chance of doing it up to age 10 - I know some little girls who would LOVE this!!

CK said...

Wow what a great idea!

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

Thank you! I will be using this in a few weeks--particularly those adorable paper dolls!

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

This is such a great little project!! I think I will be adding it into all my kid gifts from now on!
I made one for my 5 year old nephew:
http://livingmysweetlife.blogspot.com/2011/02/birthday-counting-cards.html

Thanks for the awesome inspiration!

Anonymous said...

preciousness! I know it's years (literally) past when you originally posted it, but the tutorial is amazing and I thank you for sharing it!

Going to try it out on my 8 year old this August ... I bet your template could be 1-99 (instead of just 1-7) ... how much fun could this be to make for a best friend (adult?)