- 1/2 cup of cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup of a combo of frozen blueberries and raspberries
- 1/2 of a frozen banana (the frozen fruit is the secret to a thick and lush smoothie--when the fresh fruit we have laying around the house becomes a little too ripe, we toss it in a plastic bag in the freezer and freeze it for later smoothie use)
- 1/2 cup of fat-free vanilla yogurt (Stonyfield Farms--our favorite)
- 1/4 cup of raw slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon of wheat germ
Put it all together in a blender and blend until smooth (even when it looks all blended, allow to blend a little longer so you are sure to get the almonds all ground up). Drink and feel smug about yourself because this smoothie is full of antioxidants and omega-3's.
Now, about that breakfast sammie--this is our house recipe:
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread, toasted (no butter)
- 1 scallion, sliced, and about 1/8 of a red pepper, diced--lightly sauteed
- 2 eggs, scrambled in the pan with the scallion and red pepper
- a little white cheddar--grated over the eggs so it get melty
- 2 slices of cooked bacon
Put everything between the two slices of toast, put your feet up, and have happy weekend breakfast (about my favorite part of every weekend).