- A draw-string goody bag with a reptile appliques I designed--while I have made these little draw string bags before for gift giving (see my Christmas post here)--these were really inspired by those made by Sharilyn at Lovely Design
- A reptile themed coloring and activity book (which was so ridiculously fun to make and I am already thinking of all the other coloring and activity books I can make...again, something I will provide a tutorial on at a future date because you really should try to make one for yourself--just because)--again, inspired by Sharilyn's children's notebooks--but modified by me in both technique and purpose...
- A little pillow box with a handful of toy reptiles inside (the pillow boxes were purchased at Paper Source--but you could make your own if you had the inclination and endless buckets of time at your disposal...)
- A little booklet of temporary reptile tattoos from Dover Little Activity Books ( they offer about a bazillion types of little books in every theme you can think of--stickers, tattoos, coloring, paper dolls, puzzles--most priced around $1.50 apiece)
- And some eco-friendly soy-based crayons from Stubby Pencil Studio
And I don't know if you get this when you hand-make SO MUCH--but I always start to wonder whether anyone really gives a crap that I do all this--and even worse, if they resent it (not the kids, but the parents of the kids). I mean, I really do make all this stuff because I LIKE TO--but I know it probably seems like I am some crazed Stepford Mommy or something...anyway, so as I was assembling these goody bags on Friday I was asking myself: Is it worth it? And it was a question that went unanswered for me until I handed these to the kiddies at the end of the party on Saturday and saw the surprise and delight in their faces as they pulled open their drawstrings and peered into their bags...I swear I almost caught a whiff of awe or gratitude coming from the pre-schoolers.
So, yes, I guess I have decided to it is worth it-- although one parent did comment, "There goes Holly setting the birthday party favor bar even higher for the rest of us."--I like to think she was kidding. Still--it's not always easy being the crafty one...