Monday, January 11, 2010

Use What You Have: Making Stock & Soup From Bones


Hear me now (if you don't already know): Making your own chicken broth is easy. Really. And way more inexpensive than buying it in cartons or cans at the grocery. Every one should make their own chicken broth because: 1)the aforementioned ease with which it can be made, 2)the taste is immeasurably superior to anything you could buy, and 3)what else are you going to do with all those old chicken bones?

Yeah, that's right. Old chicken bones = delicious broth. Even old freezer burned and desicated looking ones like those pictured above make good broth. I keep a big plastic bag or two in my freezer at all times of the year that I toss chicken bones into--and mainly use them all winter long for making stock, which then becomes all manner of soups. Or, it might become gravy in pan of chicken and biscuits, or it might even add some good flavor to some couscous or something.

So, I really want you to at least try to make your own chicken stock if you have never done it before. It only takes about 15 minutes to prep all the ingredients, and then you just abandon it to simmer on the stove for two hours while you do other things, whatever those may be. And then you come back, taste it, maybe add some salt, drain, and refrigerate. Next day, skim the fat (as above), perhaps set half aside to freeze and use for another day (or I freeze some in ice cube trays and keep these in a bag for easily accessible smaller quantities of broth whenever needed), and use the other half to make some soup right now. Why not?

Because here's my chicken stock recipe for you: DOWNLOAD CHICKEN STOCK RECIPE

No excuses, now. Go make some and report back.
And this is one of the many lovely and warming dishes you can make from your freshly homemade stock: Home-Style Split Pea Soup. Healthy, and it smells like goodness in a bowl. And like all good soups, tastes even better the next day.

Oh, and I just so happen to have another recipe for you here: DOWNLOAD SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE

There are so many things you can do with your stock once you make it--like either of these recipes:
Trust me on this. You will never, ever go back to stock in a can or carton once you start doing this. Bones to broth. Like culinary magic, I tell you.

7 comments:

papelhilo said...

don't worry, we trust you ! i too do my stock as you say, but it reminds me to do it more often.
and i love your banner !

Wendy P said...

We do this, too. I usually freeze mine in 2 cup portions in ziploc bags. Lay them flat when you freeze them and then you can stack them horizontally or slide them in to small spaces vertically in your freezer. They defrost really quickly, too.

That soup sounds awesome!

Renee said...

agreed -- there is nothing better!

love your blog!

Plum Handmade said...

I made the split pea soup tonight. Pretty tasty!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

thanks for the inspiration! you never know what effect your blog will have. I happened to read this the very day I was roasting 2 chickens for company! So I kept the bones in the freezer, and I'm currently making broth!

Wendy said...

This is a great reminder to dig out some of the beef bones I've got in the freezer. I also make turkey stock from the left over carcass at Thanksgiving.

debbie T said...

Thank you, I was googling if I could use some older freezer burned chicken bones for my stock, and it looks like you recommend it. I was going to toss them, but now they're in my stock! Thanks again!