Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Toy Drop in Antigua

For my monthly toy drop, I decided to join the Valentine's Day drop hosted by the Toy Society--and knowing I could do it while in Antigua made it all the more groovy. You see, I have actually been to Guatemala a couple of times before for work and having hung out in Antigua, I immediately thought of all the little indigenous Mayan girls who hang out in the Parque Central. And just knew I HAD TO make a little doll--with clothes that could be removed just to up the play-value ante.And as you know, one of commitments to myself--besides making a toy drop monthly on behalf of the Toy Society--was that I would use this opoprtunity to make plushies using the patterns of other plushie artists. Which I have been totally digging so far--but I just did not have any doll patterns with clothing readily on hand--so I decided to design my own pattern this month. And here she is--my little red-haired dolly with the heart-shaped mouth, stripey stockings, black boots and beret, wool scarf, flowery tunic and lovely little pale yellow wool felt coat with a peter-pan collar. Of course, she won't need any of these wintery clothes in the ever-temperate climate of Antigua--and little Guatemalan girls may even be bewildered by her wardrobe...but she did come direct from a Minnesota winter...So, Mr Beeper and I did make our drop on Valentine's Day near one entrance to the Parque Central--and we went to find a park bench to sit down and see if we could spy who would pick up the doll--and when we turned back, only one minute later, all that remained was a pink ribbon on the ground from here she had been tied to the fence post. Gone, just like that--into some eager receiver's hands.

And need I say it again? The Toy Society is so cool. You really should try it out.

2 comments:

ME... said...

She is adorable. Whoever finds her will be sooooo lucky!

Unknown said...

Very Nice ;-)